The artist is Ivanov
Piazza del Popolo (Ital. Piazza del Popolo – "People’s Square") – Square in Rome. The name comes from the Church of Santa Maria del Popolo located at this place. According to legend, the Roman Emperor Nero was buried on the site of the square. And to reassure the spirit of the former tyrant and tyrant, Pope Easter II in 1099. ordered to build a chapel in honor of the Holy Virgin at this place "The poplar" – Santa Maria del Popolo, t.to. Topol grew in this place.
With his current type, Piazza del Popolo owes the architect Giuseppe Valadier (1811–1822). He connected Napoleon staircase an area with a slope of the Pinchio hill, on which the gardens of Villa Borgeze stretch. In the middle of the square, a 36-meter Egyptian obelisk rises, the inscriptions on which are praised by the acts of the pharaoh Ramses II. This obelisk was transferred from Heliopol to Rome at Octavian Augustus in 10 g. BC. e. In addition to the obelisk, four fountains decorate the area. Historically (until 1826), Piazza del Popolo was a place of public executions.
Ivanov depicted the square from the side of the high terrace on the hill of Pinchio. The artist acts here as a beautiful master of multi -figure composition. On the left part of the square, the dome of Santa-Maria-Dei-Mirakoli (1681) and Santa-Maria-In-Montesanto (1679) are visible in their appearance, the dome of the church of Santa Maria del Popolo, in the distance you can see the Vatican with the dome of the St. Petra.